1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world's most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world's water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com .We Offer You More Than Just "A Job"
- Professional Development - To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees' professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards - We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark - Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks - Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women's, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran's, People of Color and Allies, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
YSI is seeking to hire a Chemist to join a team developing and maintaining the water quality sensors, Environmental Monitoring, and Sampling product lines. These product line incorporates a wide range of technology by integrating optics, photonic and electrochemical sensing, software algorithms, mechanics, electrical, and large data processing. The Chemist provides chemical and environmental science expertise for the development and on-going support of sensors and sensor technology employed in YSI products. A major responsibility of this position is to be the interface between Environmental Water Quality R&D and Operations and to provide R&D support through troubleshooting and helping to implement new products and processes. The successful candidate will have demonstrated the ability to learn and master the many aspects of the products on the job. They are expected to flourish in a fast paced, fluid environment while ensuring that project initiatives are met. The candidate will also work closely with chemists and other technicians to ensure the full integration of quality products. Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Doctoral degree in Analytical Chemistry, Environmental Science or Environmental Water Quality
- 3-5 years of additional laboratory experience is preferred
- Experience in water quality chemistry or bioanalytical chemistry is preferred
- Familiarity with bench skills - pH meters, digital pipettors, balances, lab glassware, spectrophotometer, etc.
- Must be a self-starter and pro-active in approach, with a desire to learn.
- Strong results-oriented focus with performance to tight time deadlines
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary product development team environment.
- Ability to multi-task - manage two or three assignments/projects at once.
- Ability to discuss technical issues with non-technical customers.
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
- Operate safely in a chemistry R&D laboratory.
- Determine theoretical and practical limitations to sensing specifications through laboratory experimentation and R&D prototype builds.
- Proper design of experiment methodology to support proof of concept and sensor validation.
- Perform data analysis with applied statistical analysis on data sets using statistical software packages.
- Document all experiments, data, and procedures undertaken. Ensure that all work is thoroughly documented and organized for future reference.
- Analyze and present experimental data to cross-functional teams
- Local field R&D support for sensing technologies.
- Be conversant with industry common water quality test standards and regulations: Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater (21st Ed. or higher), ASTM methods and practices, US EPA methods and practices, and the Code of Federal Regulations Title 40.
- Represent Xylem in conversation with customers, publications in journals and articles, and collaboration of content in marketing materials.
- Work closely with Engineering and Project Managers and team members to ensure alignment of task priorities
- Provide guidance and mentoring to junior team members, and accept it from senior members.
- To undergo extensive training with regard to Water Quality lab equipment, so as to become knowledgeable about all aspects of the product lines (sensor performance and maintenance, hardware, software, data export/import, and manufacturing processes) within first year of employment.
- Ensure that you are current with Xylem policy and safety trainings (provided) that will include Chemical Hazards, Waste Disposal, Xylem business practices and other trainings.
- Act as a liaison between R&D, QA and marketing teams to define, defend and explain sensing specifications and claims
- Support other members of the R&D development team.
- Learn and use the Xylem purchasing system and chemical procurement procedures.
- Evaluate new technologies, methods and products to determine viability for commercialization.
- Assume other activities and responsibilities as directed.
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
- Must be able to lift 30 pounds
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Laboratory: R&D chemical laboratory, wide-ranging instrumentation and wet chemistries
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.