Westat is an employee-owned corporation providing research services to agencies of the U.S. Government, as well as businesses, foundations, and state and local governments. Westat's research, technical, and administrative staff of more than 2,000 is located at our headquarters in Rockville, Maryland, near Washington, DC.Job Summary:
Westat has an opening for a Senior Study Director to join the Child Welfare/Justice Team within the Behavioral Health and Health Policy practice area. This talented, multidisciplinary group of research professionals works on a wide range of cutting-edge program evaluations and research studies focused on marginalized populations and the agencies and individuals that serve them.
Some examples of the type of work you will be involved with and help make an impact on include:
• Mixed-methods evaluations of local state and federal child welfare and juvenile and criminal justice programs, including surveys focused on the effectiveness of victim services or interviews about policies to serve youth in foster care.
• A multi-site evaluation of programs designed to serve youth in or transitioning out of foster care.
• A social network analysis of youth serving agencies in NYC to understand the effects of state funding on agency partnerships and service access and availability.
• Training and technical assistance to American Indian and Alaska Native nations to help strengthen Tribal child and family systems and services.
• Studies of the criminal justice system to examine administrative procedures.
This is a full time position with flexibility for telework and hybrid arrangements with a great benefits package.Job Responsibilities:
As a Senior Study Director you would:
• Direct and/or manage, as well as collaborate on, the design, implementation, analysis, and writing/reporting of both large and small mixed-methods evaluation studies.
• Adhere to principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion in all your work.
• Lead/participate in proposal writing and other business development activities (e.g., identify new business opportunities).
• Lead/participate in presentations and report writing about evaluation findings to a variety of audiences.
• Contribute knowledge and expertise in the social sciences (e.g., child welfare, victimization, children's mental health).Basic Qualifications:
• A Ph.D. in the social sciences with 3-5 years of relevant experience, or a Master's degree in the social sciences with 10 years of relevant experience is required.Preferred Qualifications:
• A strong background in the design and implementation of a range of evaluation studies, demonstrated strong quantitative and qualitative skills, experience with mixed-methods approaches.
• Content knowledge in child welfare, children's mental health, system-involved children and families and/or the criminal and juvenile justice systems.
• Experience in proposal writing.
• Experience with report writing and the development of published manuscripts.Minimum Qualifications:
• Approximately 25% travel is expected, once travel resumes.
• Ability to work in a team environment and handle multiple tasks.
• Possesses excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Westat is committed to building a diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity, belonging and equity for all. We believe that our greatest strength draws on the different backgrounds, cultures, perspectives and experiences of our employees.
Westat offers a well-rounded and comprehensive benefits program focused on wellness and work/life balance. Eligible employees may participate in:
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Vacation Leave
- Sick Leave
- Holiday Leave
- Professional Development
- Health Advocate
- Employee Assistance Program
- Travel Accident Insurance
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Savings Account
Protecting the health and safety of our employees and survey participants is a top priority for Westat. As a federal government contractor, Westat will require Westat staff, regardless of work location, to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon hire and to follow all safety protocols, subject to approved accommodations under applicable law.
Westat is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or any other protected status under applicable law.