USA - Maryland - RockvillePosted Date:
Nov 15 2022
Are you energized by a challenging role in biology, where scientific demand is driving team growth? If so, this Associate Scientist role would be a great opportunity to consider.
The global Nucleic Acid Vaccines Center of Excellence team (Technical Research & Development, GSK Vaccines) is seeking an enthusiastic and motivated Scientist with a strong understanding and experience in nucleic acid research to contribute to the success of the GSK messenger RNA (mRNA) vaccine platform. The position is in Rockville, Maryland.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career. These responsibilities include some of the following:
- Drive development & optimization of a clinical & commercial manufacturing processes for the purification of mRNA Drug Substance and plasmid DNA.
- Develop detailed experimentation protocols and executes the planning/organization of the experiments in his/her scope of activities.
- Analysis and interpretation of the data, including reporting and presentation.
- Partner with diverse team members from various functions, multiple countries, and members at various levels in organization.
- Comply with data integrity requirements for laboratory work.
Why you?Basic Qualifications:
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Degree in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Chemical Engineering, Biotechnology, Bioengineering, or a related scientific field.
- BS with 4+ years of experience or MS with 2+ years of experience
- Expertise in mRNA purification or deep experience in purification of biomolecules
- Experience with different purification techniques such as chromatography and tangential flow filtration (TFF) and associated instrumentation such as AKTA chromatography systems and Unicorn software.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Communicate effectively with regular verbal and formal updates to project teams and management.
- Understanding of purification of biologics, specifically large size mRNA, including process scale-up.
- Experience with a wide range of purification techniques for large nucleic acid molecules including affinity capture, ion exchange and hydrophobic interactions.
- Experience in research and development in a Biopharmaceutical industry setting.
- Understanding of Quality by Design and the development of a process control strategy.
- Design and execute DOE studies & high-throughput screen for purification process improvements and advancements including parameter optimization, scale-up, process window determination and process capability evaluation.
- Be able to rapidly acquire project understanding and apply professional knowledge to project improvement.
- Demonstrated ability to efficiently work in a fast paced and fluid environment, changes in priority and timeline restrictions.
- Experience and understanding in nucleic acid analytical technologies.
At GSK, we have already delivered unprecedented change over the past four years, improving R&D, becoming a leader inConsumer Health, strengthening our leadership, and transforming our commercial execution. Now, we're making the biggestchanges we've made to our business in over 20 years.We're on track to separate and create two new companies in 2022:
New GSK with a leading portfolio of vaccines and specialty medicines as well as R&D based on immune system and geneticsscience; and a new world-leading consumer healthcare company of loved and trusted brands.
With new ambition comes new purpose. For New GSK, this is to unite science, talent and technology to get ahead of diseasetogether - all with the clear ambition of delivering human health impact; stronger and more sustainable shareholder returns; andas a new GSK where outstanding people thrive.
Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it. How we do all this is through our people and our culture. A culturethat isambitious for patients
- so we deliver what matters better and faster;accountable for impact
- with clear ownership ofgoals and support to succeed; andwhere we do the right thing
. So, if you're ready to improve the lives of billions, join us at thisexciting moment in our journey. Join our challenge to get Ahead Together.
GSK is a global biopharma company with a special purpose - to unite science, technology and talent to get ahead of disease together - so we can positively impact the health of billions of people and deliver stronger, more sustainable shareholder returns - as an organisation where people can thrive. Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it, and we aim to impact the health of 2.5 billion people around the world in the next 10 years.
Our success absolutely depends on our people. While getting ahead of disease together is about our ambition for patients and shareholders, it's also about making GSK a place where people can thrive. We want GSK to be a workplace where everyone can feel a sense of belonging and thrive as set out in our Equal and Inclusive Treatment of Employees policy. We're committed to being more proactive at all levels so that our workforce reflects the communities we work and hire in, and our GSK leadership reflects our GSK workforce.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record