USA - California - San FranciscoPosted Date:
Feb 2 2023
At GSK we see a world in which advanced applications of machine learning and AI will allow us to develop novel therapies to existing diseases and to quickly respond to emerging or changing diseases with personalized drugs, driving better outcomes at reduced cost with fewer side effects. It is an ambitious vision that will require the development of products and solutions at the cutting edge of machine learning and AI. If that excites you, we'd love to chat.
The AI/ML Sequence Learning Team applies machine learning and AI methods to biological sequence (DNA, RNA, protein) data from large-scale human genetic, functional genomic and single cell experiments. Models operating directly on sequence data that can infer how variants alter protein/RNA abundance, structure and function have the potential to be transformative in drug discovery, empowering us to find new life saving medicines.
We are looking for a Senior AI/ML Engineer to help us make this vision a reality. Competitive candidates will have a track record in developing SOTA deep learning models for solving challenging real world scientific problems. You should be an outstanding scientist with in-depth knowledge in modern machine learning. You can convert vaguely described biological/drug discovery challenges into well-defined machine learning problem. You can independently execute and deliver full AI/ML driven solution from sourcing training data, design and implementing SOTA machine learning models, testing, benchmark and product driven research for model performance improvement, to shipping stable, tested, performant code and services in an agile environment.
The AI/ML team is built on the principles of ownership, accountability, continuous development, and collaboration. We hire for the long term, and we're motivated to make this a great place to work. Our leaders will be committed to your career and development from day one.Why you?
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Graduate studies in Computer Science or Applied Math, undergraduate studies in Computer Science and relevant graduate studies in the life sciences with a focus on AI/ML techniques, or undergraduate studies in Computer Science and equivalent work history. Candidates with graduate studies in CS and biological sciences or equivalent work history will be highly competitive.
- Highly experienced in developing deep learning models.
- An outstanding scientist, machine learning engineer, and software engineer. Demonstrate expertise and depth in at least one area and breadth across your expertise.
- Proficiency with standard deep learning algorithms and model architectures.
- Familiarity with current deep learning literature and math of machine learning.
- In depth knowledge in machine learning best practices, scalable training and deployment, model introspection and evaluation.
- Advanced level in PyTorch, Tensorflow, or other deep learning frameworks.
- Highly experienced/accomplished in software engineering with advanced skills in python and/or C++
- Experience with devop stacks: version control, CI/CD, containerization, etc.
- At least one peer reviewed publication.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- PhD in Machine Learning.
- Knowledge in disease biology, molecular biology and biochemistry.
- Experience with biological data (e.g., genomics, transcriptomics, epigenomics, proteomics).
- Peer reviewed publications in major AI conferences.
- Experience in design, development and deployment of commercial AI/ML software.
- Track record of contributing to open source projects.
- Mentality of commit early and often, metrics before models, and shipping high quality production code.
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigor and risk
- Managing individual and team performance.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Implementing change initiatives and leading change.
- Sustaining energy and well-being, building resilience in teams.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally.
- Developing people and building a talent pipeline.
- Translating strategy into action - a compelling narrative, motivating others, setting objectives and delegation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, managing trusted stakeholder relationships internally and externally.
- Budgeting and forecasting, commercial and financial acumen.
GSK is a global biopharma company with a special purpose - to unite science, technology and talent to get ahead of disease together - so we can positively impact the health of billions of people and deliver stronger, more sustainable shareholder returns - as an organisation where people can thrive. Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it, and we aim to impact the health of 2.5 billion people around the world in the next 10 years.
Our success absolutely depends on our people. While getting ahead of disease together is about our ambition for patients and shareholders, it's also about making GSK a place where people can thrive. We want GSK to be a workplace where everyone can feel a sense of belonging and thrive as set out in our Equal and Inclusive Treatment of Employees policy. We're committed to being more proactive at all levels so that our workforce reflects the communities we work and hire in, and our GSK leadership reflects our GSK workforce.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record